Accomplished astrophysicist, Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, said "One of the great challenges in this world is knowing enough about a subject to think you're right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong." Dr. Tyson added "It's not good enough to be right; you also have to be effective. The less connected you are to what is objectively true, the less likely you will be able to make decisions that will benefit your life, the life of your family, and even civilization itself." This year as much as any requires Omega to be connected to what is objectively true about its own agency.
The purpose of the Fraternity shall be to bring about a union of college men of similar high ideals of scholarship and manhood in order to:
- Stimulate the attainment of ideals and ambitions of its members;
- Disseminate and inculcate those ideals among those with whom its members come in contact;
- Cooperate with the schools where its chapters may be located in fostering these ideals;
- Occupy a progressive, helpful and constructive place in the civic and political life, domestically, and internationally;
- Prepare its members for greater usefulness in causes of humanity, freedom, and dignity of the individual; and,
- Aid down-trodden humanity in its effort to achieve higher social, economic, and intellectual status.
Although there are countless examples of Omega functioning in harmony with its own truth, the juxtaposition of the two articles in the attached Winter 1968 Oracle highlighting the agency of Kappa Psi and Alpha Omega chapters seemed a fitting complement to this week's message.
In 2020, let's be right and effective. Let us Stimulate, Disseminate, Cooperate, Occupy, Prepare, and Aid.
Make it a great week Brothers. Be Noble!
3rd District History and Archives Committee
The Monday Pearl is provided by the Third District History and Archives Committee and is a weekly sharing of fraternity content, commentary, and research of historical value we hope Brothers will enjoy and from which Brothers will draw inspiration. Previous "Pearls" can be found at http://3rddistrictques.org/about-us/overview/monday-pearl/. The Committee encourages your feedback. Should you have reactions, comments, information, anecdotes, documents, and the like, related to any of the content we share, we'd very much like to hear from you. Please send all communication to firstname.lastname@example.org.